Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Preparations for Memorial Day

Since Memorial Day is approaching, I have been trying to pray through an appropriate message for Sunday that would connect the dots with the heart of Memorial Day. Being a World War II history buff makes this both interesting and a bit overwhelming. I have perused a few of my favorite books in my WW II library and reviewed some of my favorite events. Intertwined with this research is a review of the numerous times in scripture that soldiers are used as a positive teaching analogy for followers of Jesus Christ. This has created a different approach for me in preparing for this year's Memorial Day than in the past.

It is always a favorite pastime of mine to watch my favorite war movies and documentaries as a part of this weekend. The final scene in Battleground is one of my favorite moments of in all of cinema. It gives great honor to the fighting spirit and character of the generation of Americans who were truly great and defeated the rise of fascism in Europe. Movies like this are rousing and stir our patriotism, and affirm our positive perspectives of everything that is honorable in the service of our country.

This year somehow has become different. This is yet another year that I know a number of friends who are serving overseas. Scores of others have only just returned or are preparing to deploy. Our church staff has been visiting bases in the area, connecting with chaplains, and learning how to more strategically minister to those who serve us and their families. This year more than ever their service and sacrifices are becoming very personal to me. More than ever in watching the History channel, Discovery, or my favorite "war movies", I am reminded that "I know a person who does that."

Their service is honorable, so much so in fact that God uses them as role models to challenge us to be more in our spiritual lives. He challenges us to train ourselves as they do, fight with honor as they do, have the same type of passion that drives them, to be vigilant in the same manner, and to conduct ourselves with the same focus and purposefulness. In short, I have been challenged to be more like them.

The most important action, of many that I should do, is to pray for them. They never stop being vigilant on our behalf. We should learn to be like them. We should learn their level of vigilance and pray for them with the same focus, passion, and commitment that drives them to serve us. That is what God has challenged us to do. So get ready for this year's Memorial Day by praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment