Today will be a tough game for the Razorbacks and that is undisputed. It is not however a forgone conclusion that Alabama will win. They are favored and should be. That does not mean that the Hogs cannot win. In fact, there are a umber of scenarios in which they could steal a victory.
Here are a few keys as I see them to a Hog victory:
1) Defensively, we must be more effective. ("Better" will still take more time, coaching, and recruiting). Bama's running game is very strong and will grind you down over the course of the game. The quarterback however is the weak link, if there is one.
* Stack 8-9 in the box and do your best against the running game - it is their weapon.
* Expose the quarterback. Force him to beat you consistently. If he does, then he does but at least they did not beat you with their strength. Blitz often and from different places. Schemes design to confuse are a must. Even if we get confused on occassion and make a mistake, vanilla gets you worn down and beaten for sure.
2) Throw alot. Our strength.
3) Know Saban's defenses - they are aggressive and over pursue the ball. Misdirections, screens of all types will be necessary to keep them honest and slow them down a little. A little is all it takes for Mallet to deliver the ball. Fades and timing patterns are excellent tools as well.
4) Gamble for some turnovers. When you are the underdog like this on the road, you cannot play it safe on defense. Without some turnovers, they will not win. Gamble for some. If you get beat, you are the underdog and undermanned on defense anyway.
5) Get every field goal, touchdown and point that you can get. lots of fieldgoals are fine against a running team. Stack up the points at every opportunity. Don't ever give up scoring. 4th downs are pipe dreams but points against an Alabama defense are genuine gold.